Fred Fellows, CA Biography
Click to view Fred Fellows's sculptures or Fred Fellows's paintings
Fred Fellows, Trip to the Trading Post, Oil on Panel, 18 " x 30"
Fred Fellows works in his studio, transforming a lump of clay with ease into a masterpiece soon to be cast in bronze. With magnificent views of the Empire Ranch in the background, it’s no wonder Fred Fellows reminisces about his boyhood home in Ponca City. His exposure to the ranching way of life and the Native American culture would heavily influence his work over the ensuing years.
Fred Fellows' love of and first hand experience living the ranching and cowboy lifestyle no doubt contributed to the acquisition of a membership in the prestigious Cowboy Artists of America organization. In 1997, Fred Fellows rose to the forefront of the organization and became president for the first time. By 2003, he had presided over the organization twice.
Fred Fellows, Down from the High Country, Bronze Edition of 50, 11" x 19" x 5"
Fred Fellows is one of the few Cowboy Artists of America that has won Gold and Silver medals in both painting and sculpture. Fred Fellow's won the Gold Medal in 1995 for his sculpture “An Honest Days Work” and 1991 for “No Easy Way Out.”
Fred Fellows' paintings and sculpture can be found in some of the country’s finest museum and corporate collections including the Booth Museum, and the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming. He has also won the Grumbacher Fine Arts Award and the Painting Institute of America Award.
Fred Fellows, The War Horse, Bronze Edition of 50, 33" x 12" x 19"
Today Fred Fellows lives the cowboy lifestyle he so dearly loves on his ranch in Southern Arizona with his wife, nationally acclaimed sculptor Deborah Copenhaver-Fellows.
Select Awards / Commissions / Exhibitions:
- 2017 "25th Anniversary Celebration" Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Tucson, AZ
- 2017 "25th Anniversary Celebration" Hardcover catalog, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Tucson, AZ
- 2017 Western Art Collector, October issue
- 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award, Booth Western Art Museum, GA
- 2011 Board Member of Cowboy Artists of America
- 2010 Purchase Award, Phoenix Art Museum, AZ
- 2010 President of Cowboy Artists of America
- 2009 - 28th Annual Buffalo Bill Art Show and Sale, Cody WY
- 2009 - Annual Western Art Show and Sale, Phippen Museum
- 2009 - Vice President of Cowboy Artists of America
- 2009 - Western Art Collector, October issue
- 2007 - Western Art Collector, Feature article, November issue
- 2007 - Arizona: A Millennium of Arizona Art, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Tucson, AZ
- 2006 - “Artist of the Year” Academy of Western Artists, Dallas, TX
- 2006 - “Artist of the Year” Arizonans Official Cowboy Poetry Gathering, Prescott, AZ. Painting used for official poster of this event.
- 2007- commissioned monument for MC Neese State University, Lake Charles, LA
- 2004-2005 Director Cowboy Artists of America
- 2003 American Cowboy, August issue
- 1995 President of Cowboy Artists of America
- 1994 Vice President of Cowboy Artists of America
- 1975 President of Cowboy Artists of America
- 1974 Vice President of Cowboy Artists of America
- 1973 Secretary-Treasurer of Cowboy Artists of America
Fred Fellows, Riding Out a Bad Investment, Bronze Edition of 100, 15" x 13" x 12", Monumental Edition of 15, 61" x 59" x 60"