Sue Rother Biography
Sue Rother, The Salmon Arroyo, Oil on Canvas, 24" x 24"
Born in Oakland, California, Sue grew up south of San Francisco spending most of her time riding horses, competing in dressage and hunter and jumper competitions. Years of being around horses, gave her an invaluable knowledge of their movement, attitude and personalities.
Sue Rother, To A New Camp, Oil on Panel, 12" x 12"
Sue's other lifelong obsession was creating art. She attended U.C. Davis, where she studied under Wayne Thiebaud and others. Further education included Art Center College of Design and The Academy of Art College in San Francisco, where she has been teaching for 11 years. For 25 years Sue painted and drew as an illustrator for clients such as, Disney, Bank of America and Williams Sonoma, Gallo Wines and hundreds of various corporations and publishers nationwide. She has also exhibited at the American Museum of Illustration in New York.
Always a painter, the transition from illustrator to gallery artist was a natural progression in Sue's creative endeavors. Sue Rother is represented by Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery in Tucson, Arizona.
Sue Rother, Casa Diablo, Oil on Panel, 22" x 22"
- April 18,1950 Oakland, Ca.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of California, Davis, 1968-72. Studied under: Wayne Thiebaud, Manuel Neri, and William Wiley
- Art Center College of Design, 1973
- Academy of Art College, 1976-79
- Academy of Art College, Indication for Advertising, 1982-85, Illustration II classes
- Boise State University. Illustration, Graphics Department
- Sun Valley Center for the Arts, Watercolor classes
- Academy of Art University, Illustration Department Instructor, 2009 - Present
- Estee Lauder
- Gerber Corp.
- Simon & Schuster
- Reader's Digest
- Hublien Corp.
- Fetzer Vineyards
- Inglenook Vineyards
- King's Supermarkets, NJ.
- Williams Sonoma
- Landor Assoc.
- Marcel Shurman
- Bank of America
- Arrias Design
- Johnsonville Inc.
- Harcourt Brace
- Freda Scott Represents
- Carol Guenzi Art Agents
- Jerry Leff Assoc.
- 2019 "Along the Distant Mesa: An Homage to Maynard Dixon" Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Tucson, AZ
- 2017 "25th Anniversary Celebration" Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Tucson, AZ
- 2012 - "Landscapes of the West" Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
- 2012 - 4th Annual Small Paintings Show and Sale, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
- Museum of American Illustration, New York City
- 2009-10 - 3rd Annual Small Works Winter Show and Sale, Medicine Man Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
- 2009 - Historic Trading Posts of the West, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Tucson, AZ
- 2009 - Geronimo Remembered, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Tucson, AZ
- "Maynard Dixon's American West: Along the Distant Mesa" by Mark Sublette, 2019
- "25th Anniversary Show Catalog" 2017, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery