Navajo Crystal Rug with the Letter G, c. 1910s, 56.5" x 36" (T5003)
- Circa: 1910s
- Size: 56.5'' x 36''
This weaving is in good condition. There are no holes or signs of moth grazing. There is no staining, spotting, fading or color run. There is some edge wear to the corners, with signs of old restoration, which allow some warps to peek through. The wool is soft and flexible. The warp count is 6, and the weft count is 24, per inch. Acquired from a private collection in New Mexico. The owner's grandfather was Elza White (1863- 1953), who came to New Mexico in 1893. A long-time rancher, he actively traded with the Native Americans while living on his sheep ranch in Roswell, New Mexico. He also traded the Apache for beaded bags. Elza moved to Mayhill, New Mexico during the depression and donated several hundred acres of the family ranch in the Sacramento Mountains, southeast of Cloudcroft, New Mexico, to establish a camp for his daughter, Mary White, a girl scout leader. Camp Mary White was founded in 1927, and was one of the earliest Girl Scout Camps in America and the first in New Mexico. The owner's other grandfather was Ernest Marsh, the president of the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway.