Alan Mazzetti Biography
Alan Mazzetti Biography
It's our perspective on life that gets us through the day. It can help or hinder us with adjusting to new circumstances and in dealing with the mundane details of living.
As you look at these paintings you'll become aware of uncertainties and simultaneous states within them. Flat becomes round. Objects at rest can also be in motion, and can be cosmic or molecular in scale. Patterns emerge from chaos. The seemingly simple is found to be infinitely complex.
Inspired by science, filtered through personal experience, and extending contemporary art practices, these are abstractions of how the world works. Back when the world was flat, people were at the center of an unchangeable clockwork universe. The viewpoint today is radically different. Today, the center depends on where you're standing. Things not only change, but can be different things simultaneously. And instead of predictability, chance rules the universe. Matter is energy and motion is relative. Perspective changes perception. Accepting one view as right does not make the opposite view wrong.
Alan Mazzetti, Does It Float? Mixed Media 36" x 24"
I use the language of my graphic arts background - printed papers, halftone dots, digital scans - to tell a story of particles and waves. An active, dimensional surface lets the painting live and change with different viewpoints.
As much as I enjoy the beauty and emotion that is expressed through color, texture and shape, I want to make paintings in which these elements also communicate an idea.
The Probabilities paintings are created with a mixture of planned and chance events - the same process that brought you here to this point in time to be reading this. They ask for participation on your part and encourage open, flexible thinking by picturing a universe than is much more than it appears to be if we can see it from new perspectives.
Alan Mazzetti, Is That The Right Way? Mixed Media 30" x 42"
- Santa Barbara, CA, 1950
- BFA: Academy of Art College, San Francisco, CA 1974
- Mazzetti Graphics, San Francisco, CA 1976-Present
- Design Center: San Francisco, CA, 1974-75
- Bechtel Corporation: San Francisco, CA, 1975-1976, Graphic Designer, signage for New Riyadh Airport, Saudi Arabia
- Mazzaetti Graphics: San Francisco, CA 1976-1986, Graphic Design clients include: Berkeley Farms, Crowne Plaza Hotels, Design and Type, Harper & Row Publishing, Marin Bicycles, Pasta Bella Restaurants, Western S.U.N. / U.S. Dept. of Energy, U.S. Forest Service
- Academy of Art College: 1984, Instructor, Collateral Design
- Mazzetti Graphics: San Francisco, CA 1986-2006
- Air Liquide
- American Express
- Audubon Society
- American Airlines
- Burger King
- City of Chicago
- Good Housekeeping
- Harper & Row
- Jameson Whiskey
- National Semiconductor
- Pac Bell
- Paine Weber
- Readers' Digest
- Washington Post
- Wassau Paper
- Wall Street Journal,
- 1997- Present, Producing and exhibiting paintings in Bay Area and nationally
- 2017 "25th Anniversary Celebration" Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Tucson, AZ
- 2007 - Hotel Triton, San Francisco, CA - Eye Candy
- 2006 - House of Red, San Francisco, CA
- 2006, 2002, 1998 - Hunters Point, Spring Show, San Francisco, CA
- 2003 - Center for the Arts, Gualala, CA
- 2003 - World Arts and Culture Council, National Open, San Francisco, CA
- 2001 - Chroma Art Design, San Francisco, CA
- 2000 - Rivaga Art, Windows Solo Exhibition, Washington, DC
- 2000 - Art Explosion, San Francisco, CA
- 1999 - Shepherd College, West Virginia
- 1999 - Worcester Polytechnic Institute, MA
- 1999 - School of Art, Kent State University, OH
- 1998 - Crocker Art Museum, 71st Crocker-Kingsley Exhibition, Sacramento,
- 1997 - Chico Art Center, First National Juried Exhibition, CA
- 1997 - Arts Benicia, Art of Collage and Assemblage, CA
- 1997 - Marin Society of Artists, Open Fine Arts, CA
- 1997 - Word and Image, Best of Show, Mill Valley, CA
- 1997 - Sacramento Fine Arts Center, Magnum Opus/Third Place, CA
- 1997 - University of CA at Santa Cruz, Exemplary Contemporary, CA
- 1997 - A Trio of Artists, Danville Fine Arts, CA