Dominik J. Modlinski
Biography Dominik J. Modlinski
The source of this artist’s ingenuity is the never-ending supply of material nature affords. As a matter of course, Dominik J. Modlinski incorporates the journey motif into his work, his creative process and his personal growth experience. For him, the possibilities are endless.
Born in Warsaw, Poland, Modlinski now calls Canada home and makes his living traveling through and painting various endangered natural areas. At the heart of his travels is a quest to discover and depict the inherent balance and truthfulness found in nature.
“My work is simply a reflection of what I love to do most, to be able to live on the land, to better my creative vision and to bring people joy and understanding of the environment through art,” says Modlinski.
In Poland he attended The School for Artistic Crafts and Design. In Canada he graduated with honors from the Ontario College of Art in 1993. He has since lived in the wilderness setting of Atlin, B.C., where he taught painting and drawing at the Atlin Centre for the Arts. Modlinski says he enjoys the physical challenge painting in such remote location entails. It’s also an opportunity to visually celebrate a unique ecosystem. For this artist, celebration is really at the heart of his hard work.
Modlinski now shares his time between Nanaimo and Atlin BC where he paints full-time. His work has earned him numerous awards, including the prestigious Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Scholarship in 1994 and the David L. Stevenson Scholarship for Proficiency in Drawing & Painting in 1993.
The artist’s work can be found in corporate and private collections. He is represented by “ Canada House “, Banff, AB., “ Peninsula Gallery “, Sidney, BC, “Elliott Louis Gallery”, Vancouver, BC, “ Mountain Galleries “, Whistler, BC Jasper, AB and by “ John A. Libby Fine Art “, Toronto, ON. His work is also published by Nature’s Scene in Georgetown, ON. And Mill Pond Press, FL, USA
BORN: 1970, Warsaw, Poland
- 1989 - 1993 Ontario College of Art, Drawing & Painting Diploma awarded with Honours.
SCHOLARSHIPS / GRANTS
- Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Scholarship, November 1994.
- David L. Stevenson Scholarship for Proficiency in Drawing & Painting, May 1993.
- Friends of O.C.A., Year Three, for Proficiency in Fine Art, May 1992.
- Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour
- The Alberta Society of Artists
SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS
- " From Ocean to Icefields “ - Yukon Art Centre, Whitehorse YT, June 2004
- " Recent Works " - Atlin Courthouse, Atlin BC, July 1998
- " Recent Works " - Atlin Courthouse, Atlin BC, July 1997
- " Dynamics of Nature "- Bailey Bedard Studio Gallery & Western Canada Wilderness Committee, Toronto ON, September 1994
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- 2012 - Landscapes of the West, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
- 2012 - 4th Annual Small Works Show and Sale, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
- " Alpine Club of Canada Centennial " – Whyte Museum, Banff, AB., October 2006
- “ From Oceans to Icefields “ – Yukon Arts Centre, Whitehorse, June 2004
- “ Northern Arts Festival “ - Inuvik, NWT, July 2000
- " CIBC Private Banking & Libby' s of Toronto " - CIBC Private Banking, Toronto ON, September 1998
- Participation in " Engage ' 98 "- Whitehorse Yukon, May 1998
- " Worlds of Light "- Private Show, Toronto ON, February 1997
- Participation in " Taku Fine Art Auction " - Vancouver BC, Public Library, March 1997
- Western Art Collector - The Savvy Collector's Guide, "Introducing Dominik Modlinski" June 2011
- CTV interview – “ Artist aims to preserve endangered spaces “ Oct 27, 2008
- Article in the “ Rocky Mountain Outlook - “ Two Artists, same subject, different styles ” April 24, 2008
- Article in the “ Rocky Mountain Outlook - “ Artist voyages to southern oceans ” May 31, 2007
- Article in the “ The Yukon News - “ Artist thrives in inclement weather ” Jan. 10 2003
- Cover page of the “ Canadian Journal of Rural Medicine “, Volume 6, No. 3, summer 2001
- Article in the “ International Artist ” magazine - “ Visual excitement and Spiritual Connection “, No. 19, June/July 2001
- “ Interview with an Artist " - CBC TV North, Whitehorse YT, Feb. 2001
- Oil painting chosen for the Unicef Christmas Card, 1998.
- “ Interview with an Artist " - CFMT International, Toronto ON, May 1998
- Cover page of Taku Fine Art Auction Catalogue, March 1997.
- " Interview with an Artist " - Vision TV, Toronto ON, November 1996.
- " Stein Valley - To Protect its Natural and Cultural Heritage ". Watercolour image chosen for the marketing poster.
- Published by Western Canada Wilderness Committee, Vancouver BC, September 1994.
- “ Interview with an Artist " - CFMT International, Toronto ON, May 1994
- Ongoing workshops in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Drawing and Painting instructor at North Mount Pleasant Art Centre, Calgary, AB, 2002 - 2003
- Guest art teacher, instructor and wilderness guide at Atlin Art Center, Atlin, B.C, 1995 - 2000
- Chief instructor of the Atlin Martial Arts Center, Atlin, B.C. - teaching karate to children and adults, 1998 - 2001
- Assistant instructor at the downtown YMCA Karate Club, Toronto, 1993 - 1995
- Hakai Beach Institute , Great Bear Rainforest, BC, May 2010
- Artist in residence on board ice-strengthened, “ Lyubov Orlova “, Antarctica, February 2007
- Artist in residence on board Russian Icebreaker “ Kapitan Khlebnikov”, Eastern Arctic, September 2006
- Numtijah Bow Lake Lodge, Banff National Park, Alberta, 2003- 2005
- Algoma School of landscape Arts, Algoma, Ontario, 1992 – 1994
SELECTED PRIVATE AND CORPORATE COLECTIONS
- Lance Amstrong- Winner of the Tour de France
- Pat Quinn - Toronto Maple Leafs
- Husky Injection Mouldings
- Altamira Investments Inc
- Magna Ltd.
- Husky Injection Mouldings
- MVS Solutions
- Nature's Scene
- Art of The Traderhorn
- Varughese Production Inc.
- Lawrence & Company
- Burgandy Asset Management
Return to Dominik Modlinski's Paintings